Sunday, April 21, 2013

With That Which Runs Apace


First time I see your eyes, the shock of recognition,
And I back out the room. I mosey out of there.

It’s spring in Mississippi, and the river’s rising.
What’s new, what surprise will today 
Lay on the table? Day extends a mother’s promise. 
Light sweeps the kids' rooms. You say don’t 
Fix it if it works. Tinker not with toys 
And lace. You say don’t do that, 
Just don’t goddamn do that.

I pick a scab in spite of your advice. 
I ignore you. I rummage answers in your rooms, 
Steal your toys. I pilfer every drawer
And every pocket. I steal your toys.

I find nothing, hold only your last breath,
Your last words to me, the final song you sing.

This demands more than one line to say. 
It’s too big.  We made it possible 
For one another to do terrible things.
Perhaps you think we won the war.
We put our boots on all their faces.

Ha.

Oh, Antarctica. Oh, Antarctica. 

The thing is
I like you, and I want us to be close.
We should run amok, 
Break every goddamn window.
We should just don’t give a fuck.

No comments: