Sunday, April 14, 2013

Some Sunny Day


I never said 
I was more
Than a keyboard Machiavellian.

I never said I was more than
A soft-shoe 
Dancer with my song.

Did I say I saw your song
Eviscerate the river?

I won't forget 
How you stabbed that wrinkled water.

I watched you on the shore
Dance my fingers down
This keyboard.

I saw you eating night
One star at a time. You broke
The chipped plate of the moon.

The crippled hand of dawn
Picked up the pieces, one by one.

I'll be damned if I didn't see Moses
Try to steal your song.

I saw you slice his fingers with your song.

I saw you didn't see 
Johnny Cash pick your pocket
And hock your song.

He got five dollars for your song.

Damn, Girl, 
Stop flashing that song
You keep in that ankle-sheath

But don’t know
Yet how to sing

Some sunny day
For me.

No comments: