Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Feelin' Sick & Dirty for a Day & a Life



Three eyes watch me kiss you
Here by the pillars of your father’s mansion,
María de los Ángeles.

This is your sister’s wedding,
And your father, caballo viejo,
Prances before the orchestra
He hired to show his wealth.

And you and I dance to the music
Silvestre Revueltas conducts.

Two eyes belong to your father,
Who shall remain nameless,
And the other belongs to Jorge,
Who fought with Pancho Villa in 1915.

These three eyes, two brown one green,
Watch us dance
Dirty and blue
In spite of the music.

Jorge, you know, lost the left one
For an American girl.

What a pendejo.

He was an army cook 
Who got heart disease
For that one eye of his.

An American artillery shell
Screaming in the trees can send
Splinters like dull surgical knives,
Is what Jorge always says.

When your father isn’t looking,
I take you to the cinema
To see Vámonos con Pancho Villa.

The name of that movie
Follows dust down this dark street,
And the wind, it cries María.

You know I wear my Stetson and my spurs
Just for you, María. I got that Wild-Root
Oil on my hair.

Just for you.

We see a preview of an American film,
The Devil Is a Woman,
And you are watching
Marlene Deitrich's hair, and I am watching
Her cigarette and her shoes.

If I had the money, María,
You’d smoke Marlene Deitrich’s tobacco.
You’d wear her shoes.

Whatever happened to the Revolution
Is not a question I ask myself.

Fashion takes the boots from my feet
And throws me in that dirty street.

You say I got, 
Ain’t got nothing at all?

My sweet, sweet María, 
I got
A friend of the Devil
Who's a friend of mine.





No comments: