Friday, April 19, 2013

Parlez-moi de ces Femmes


I lean against a door, cap in hand,
An unruly beggar, sham insanity and all,
An honest-to-god Abraham-man. 

When I was a kid,
Momma called me
A bantling boy,
A cullion and a wretch.

She said one day I'd hang 
My tattered hat on the leaf-bare
Branch of a backyard rampick.

And she was right.

There's no second chance 
And stars offer no to-fall, 
No all-hope for a new start.

I am not a cuckold. 
I'm not a wittol, a man 
Who knows but doesn’t care.

Maybe I’m a fipple, the underlip,
The plug in the mouthpiece.

All my life I’ve yearned
The nameless thing, the no-word
That traps desire.

That prayer is elsewhere,
Riding a Shetland I never loved,
The one my old man shot
After that leather-mouthed bit 
Biter nearly broke my neck 
On a country highway.

That summer we ate 
That pony, ground-cheval
For all our summer burgers.


I eat that pony still and study
The bonds of the signifier,
Bonds  that bare the signified.

I eat the pony I never loved.

I eat an apple and kill an ant
As a girl eats an apple
And a boy kills an ant.

No comments: