Friday, April 01, 2011

The Original Pabst Blue Ribbon


We were young and happy and grabbing
fistfuls of blueberries
from her old man’s bushes.

I kissed Pammy
full on the lips.

She pushed me away and sang:
Baby, I don’t want to know.
I don’t want to know how
you never loved me.
I don’t want to know –
oh no – I don’t.

In the morning,
the Mexican migrant families picked
their berries as they always did,
tight-lipped and sharp-eyed,
and I watched them from two rows away,
and I heard them singing, but
I didn't understand a single word.

I knew they sang to Jesus.
They sang to Cesar Chavez.

Pammy sang
the corridos of Muttsy Hugbars.

She sang of the left-hand poet, the last
bastard bard of Muskegon County Michigan,
the destined exile of the dirt road,
the half-assed landslide and dirtfall
poet of small hills and his flatland people—
the flatfoot folks who walked that road,
who picked those blueberries,
who sang those muddy songs.

She sang my song.

I had a plastic milk jug of dandelion wine.
I had a can of Pabst.
I wanted to know where
is the topic sentence
we heard John Fogerty sing,
that we heard Creedence sing.

We saw all the wattles of the old men,
she and I, we saw the fat
jowls of the men in their thirties,
those flabby fucks
who prowled the horse barn at the Ravenna Fair.

They skunked around the stalls
not looking at the ponies
the girls rode.

I want to be with you
is what she said to me.

Can you hear me holler,
she said, and no one
listened but me.

I want to be with you, she said.

No comments: