Sunday, April 17, 2011

When You Began to Know Your True Measurements and Dressed Your Mind Accordingly


I was toting a three-gallon bucket of goat's milk
when I saw you by the woods behind the barn.
I always carried milk to the house left-handed,
on account of my bad elbow. That's why
I only ever Indian-wrist-wrestled
the dudes at school with my left hand, too,
because of my bum arm.

You were standing there, way back by the trees
beyond the barn's flood-light. I could see you
were wearing one of your mother's dresses,
about two sizes too big. Night was shadowy and cold,
and there was no moon. You had a suitcase
I saw when you stepped into the light.

I called to you,
but I don't remember what I said.
I wanted to tell you:
You come across and you go back.
I wanted to tell you:
I come across and I go back.

I said I fed the horses, didn't I?
I fed the horses
hay and a little grain. They liked the grain best,
but you knew that already. You knew
the mind of a horse like the back-hand
midnight of Jamaica or Majorca or some other place
you'd never been and would never go
with my best wishes. You knew that sure
as a swallow's tail or a falling stone.

The weather's nice in Mississippi,
you said.
If you don't like it,
wait ten minutes
and it'll change
just for you.

Wait ten minutes,
is what you told me.

And then it began to rain
just like I knew it would.
And my elbow ached
every time I heard your voice.


No comments: