Monday, November 28, 2011

Lafayette, Indiana, July 1995

That kid on a red motor scooter knows
the limits his desire reaches under
mid-summer maples he won't
remember because his dad 
maybe an older brother chases him down 
riding a little bicycle

screaming obscenities like Fuck

you little fucking shit you
know you ain’t supposed to ride my bike you
get your ass off my scooter and home
before I break your fucking skull in the silence
that followsthough never quite

quiet for day settles anyway like lace
thrown over the back of a tattered couch
or the shoulders of an old woman
who won’t say thanks because she’s got
only a T.V. screen and a cinder-block wall

not even dust floats down but

I expect the one absolute one 
day arrives and I too lose
this afternoon

                      lose myself too.

No comments: