Monday, November 07, 2011

Litany of Hermeneutics

Like first light 
clawing up from dark 
water, I'm the strict 
interpretation that starts
with misunderstanding.

You know me, my darling, 
my bruised peach.

I'm your thin skin 
sliced the finer, 
more manageable crisis.

I'm the morning's first crow,

the wild turkey that startles down
dawn with my pine-bough drop-flight.

I make you draw red

lines all up & down 
your arms, my
whisper-swish razor-love.

I'm translated into forty-six languages.


I saw cancer, indifference, & hate

kill all the best 
ladies I ever knew.

Jesus was a personal friend.


That's a few years now,

the systematic fist,
Bible verse, knife.

Christ, you say.

This isn't what 
I came here for.
 
I say:
You want a job,
right?

Right?


I hasten to say that JFK

was not my father.

I have about thirty-seven hand-gestures

I could teach you, 
my lover, my dove.

I have about gone mad twice

as many times as my old man.

I wanted him to see my eyes 
when I took his pistol.

I want you to know
the careless practice of interpretation
really pisses me off.

I want you to know savage pain

is the name of a punk rock band
I never started.

You know I wasn't 
a really good dad,
but I was damn,
a damn good Marine.

And fifty-seven fists fall on me
like the cold, back-hand waves
breaking the shore of Lake Michigan.

One time I heard a story.
One time I heard a song.

One time I heard
my name on your lips,
your lips.

You know I still 

tell lies 
like flies on shit.

No comments: