Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Problems that Turn into Rain at Night


No it was a cheap picnic
Like taking a short sip of a thick book
For instance reading in Moby Dick
Only the chapter on the whiteness of the whale
And even then skipping whole paragraphs
Just to say you got through it

Yes I unzipped the flowers
Only minutes before you arrived
So you’d see their open hearts
Beating shyly through Persian blinds
As you hesitated at the window
Deciding whether to knock

No I believe vistas out this window
Are parts of speech all tangled up
Not in the memory of a lost map
But in horizons of two-bit proverbs
Misplaced in the dim light let down
Into darkness into quiet water

Yes I really don’t know that I’m inclined
To talk about that any more right now
After all it’s likely snowing somewhere
That Paul Eluard and I once tossed
Love’s dice while arguing the delicate
Problem of the firefly and that bastard
Won the game so I wrote you innumerable
Unsent letters amusing my dorm room

No the skin all dressed up is as you say
A sort of abomination sure that’s true
But what about the simple apple
Fluent in the secret language of color
Whose skin flames minty French green
Duck egg blue chartreuse avocado
Goldenrod sunflower dried blood
Mahogany amber saffron yellow bird shit?

Yes I suppose the tuning fork vibrates
Indefinitely when a thirsty soul cuts
Time in half like a ruby grapefruit
Thick pink juice dripping throatward
Which whenever I see it always makes me
Feel like a small fictional nincompoop

No my otherworldly architectural angel
I dance in a shower of warm music
On the dubious roof you built playing
Four open notes on my resonant mouth harp
Your body an unknown woman in the air
Beside me as we enter your stigmatized
Attic throwing off the rain impatiently

Yes we run away perilously with our life
Wearing each other’s clothes as we kiss
Our open palms goodbye one at a time
All thirty-five of them the way the dead
Play the piano without hands without sound


No comments: