Monday, April 07, 2014

You Are My Thou


Tonight my friend
What secret idiom
Allows us to speak?

O divine April

Shall I tell you how
A three-day rainstorm  
Loitered like an angry drunk
All over Vicksburg Mississippi?

Maybe you’d like to know
The fields today were lulled in gray-
Light heavy silent clouds

Shadows no longer reached and green
Woke and stretched to be seen

All that to make heat wait
Just one more day

Thank you
Patient old veteran 
Standing at summer’s baked battlement

I must admit
Among other things
It’s about time I stopped
Relying on the discretion of hyperbolic landscapes

Tonight my friend
I forswear wild descriptions of flora not
To mention timid signs and superstitions

I’m telling you a riddle
That only you can solve
Don’t you see?

I’m telling you a story
But I don’t know how it ends

Remember that sudden
Colder and brisker wind?

If only you had caught the first autumn leaf
You would not have caught that winter cold

You should listen to me
I’m telling you your truths

When you wake the first of May
Place your hands in pony dung
Then beat them three times fast
With the lid of a bread box
And you won’t get chilblains

I shit you not
My friend

Have I told you how your voice
Reverberates in the lengthened flames

What flames?

The breath within begins to grow and
Stops at the edge of your breath

What flames what flames what
Language can we speak tonight?

Last night I dreamed you standing
Among the still furnishings of your ancestors

I saw the desperate heat of your open hand
I saw you take hold of the sky
I saw the unharnessed fire of your mind
Waiting at the battlement of desire

Here
Take this hollow stone

It rattles when you shake it

No comments: