Friday, May 03, 2013

A True Account of Talking to the Sun in Vicksburg Mississippi


I slip myself into a wrinkled beige suit
And go outside it’s such a bright day
The first in a week of rain
I smile at the smirking sun
Whose broad elbows rest on spring
Pine tops in this wind I say
Hello sun! How do you like my suit?
Suit schmuit says the sun
Where are you going in that get-up
A job interview? Aren’t you
Supposed to be some kind of poet
A progenitor of what you call
The quote gut-punch poetic unquote?
Why yes that’s what I call it
And I’m stepping out to meet my gal
If you must know but shouldn’t you
Says the sun be writing a poem?
Shouldn’t you be tearing out your hair
I mean if you had much left to pull?
Shouldn’t you be weeping for your words?
Hey sun didn’t you have
A similar conversation with Frank O’Hara
On Fire Island in 1958?

Sir Frank O’Hara served with me
I knew Frank O’Hara
Frank O’Hara was a friend of mine
Sir you’re no Frank O’Hara

No comments: