Sunday, December 04, 2011

Wish You Were Here

You gave me the lake moon
shattered by the fish dance.

You gave me the last
taste and first
touch you said
your daddy kept locked
deeper than your momma
ever knew.

You said that, 

my little lady. 
You said it.

Did you really say it?

We saw the Michigan night

drop like an angry back-hand
kiss. We saw the dark
fall fast and sad and fist-

first. You laughed so hard.


Remember when you

laughed so hysterically hard?

Your daddy laughed like that.


Remember how I held
my fingers out to you
like buttons on a juke box?

Remember how you pushed

one-two-three

each finger in turn,
and I sang every song
you asked me to sing?


You're my brown eyed girl,
I sang. 

Sha-la-la-la-la-dee-dah,

sha-la-dee-dah.
 

I sang I wonder,
still I wonder,
who'll stop the rain.

What was that song

you asked me 
not to sing?
 

We knew
nobody knows
where it comes
and where it goes.


What was that song
you couldn't bear to hear?


Oh, my girl, sing.
Sing with me. 


Sing.

You gave me 

a broken moon. 
You gave me 
the minnow-slivered moon.

I fish for you. 

I fish.   
I fish for you.

No comments: