Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Where to Begin?

The air trembles with similes.
This word wrestles that one.
The trees vibrate with Regina Spektor's vibrato.
The two-wheeled moon is some kind of metaphor,
swift-harnessed by a flock of crows.

Forty-seven blessings on the one who names my song!

My tongue
tastes of thyme I rubbed between my palms,
she tells me.
My tongue is tied to a dense, elastic dream,
I tell her.

And inhaling the moist
fossil words we shape,
the taint of ossified hope,
I cough and sneeze and snort
three poems quick as that.

Ha!

And what's to show?
The sharp arch of my aching neck.

All the best lessons
I learned from her, the arrow-finder.

She brushed away the dirt
and rubbed the shaft with silk until it shined.

She hung it over a threshold
so it could rest
and no more have to strike the prey.

No comments: