Sunday, February 27, 2011

Southerly Wind

The sky is the color of Regina Spektor's eyes, 
a water-thin turquoise ocean, you say,
and clouds rush like an anxious flotilla northward. 

The Japanese magnolia is blooming, you say,
and the pink-white blossoms 
open like the cupped hands of our daughters. 

Would you believe me, my wife, if I said
I lied to you, if I said I lied
about talking to you in my sleep?
What would you say if I said
I never thought I could love anyone,
anyone but you? Would you believe me?

The Japanese magnolia trembles in this wind.
The tree unflowers, you tell me, one-by-one, 
the nine petals of each bloom.
 
Oh, my friend, we have no words 
for the blush and tumble of these petals
littering the winter-bleached lawn.

Look, I say. A  ragged line of crows 
meanders against the wind, calling 
onesies and twosies to one another. I suppose
I need this day to flow, to keep right on flowing,
just as you do, my darling, just as I wish it to
keep on pouring into my heart, into our hearts.

Tomorrow, I'll write a poem
and say we walked barefoot on the lawn. 
I'll say we danced like teenage lovers
beneath the Japanese magnolia,
and we watched, we watched each other
kicking the fallen petals windward.  

And I'll tell you the truth. I'll tell you the truth.
The sky is the color of your turquoise eyes.




No comments: