Monday, February 28, 2011

Not Guilty, I Said

When I was 19 & drove my car into Lake Michigan, 
these are the things I gave away.
I gave nineteen palm kisses to all the girls who didn't love me.
I gave an Abhayamudra to my twin brother, Night,
sitting in the seat beside me.
I gave the Bellamy salute to American Legion Post Number 1964.
I gave the clenched right fist to my high school teachers;
they knew what I meant.
I gave the fist bump to intangible friends
who feared the handshake.
I gave the Moutza to all the people who wanted to do
away with collective bargaining.
I gave the ILY to all the girls who didn't love me.
I gave the Varadramudra to the crows who would pick my bones.
I gave the thumbs up & the thumbs down
& the telephone gesture to all the girls who didn't love me.
I gave them the sign of the horns.
When I was 19 & drove my car into Lake Michigan,
I was a saint
who didn't want to be found.

No comments: