Wednesday, June 18, 2014

What You See at the Fotografia Buffa Exhibit


The mirrors all hang at different angles
You see a dirty-faced girl drawing on the wall
Beneath painted bookshelves and paperbacks
Scarred by cigarettes you're thinking smokers
Preoccupied by decades of dust you think
States of being matter as parts of the scene
The girl is drawing a man in a short coat
Who came from Morocco and lives now
In an abandoned Chevy atop a hill he says
The radio gets better reception up here
Where he’s listening to a public radio piece
About a photography exhibit at the 1900 Paris
Exposition called contemporary life in America
In one of the mirrors you see your own face


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Listen to me, darlings of fashion,
I feel that your eyeliner speaks to me in ways
that only the great divas of Morocco would understand.
My face is haunted by desert landscapes.
Talitha Getty sashays to make the wind in my hair.
To be dry and inhospitable is essentially desertlike, but it is far from Moroccan.
I am so far from Moroccan I am practically home now