Monday, September 12, 2016

Far Away Lips upon an Armpit


When you come to Vicksburg
Will you take a boat?

The possibilities for visions grow
The closer you get
Vicksburg’s lousy with quizzicalness too
You might like to know

That’s okay
My door's open to midwinter rain on the magnolia

Come on in
Put out your hand
Isn’t there a poem suddenly there?

Each day’s a new line in the poem of our life

The purest fragments the clearest
Residue of mislaid sound

You could say dawn
Sometimes revives a curious plant
Which might symbolize possibility
Or half a dozen other ilities

And then again sometimes dawn
Unzips a sleeping dog
Vicksburg’s lousy with those too
Unzipped hounds

There’s a haunted mansion
We should inhabit on a promontory

Remember when you said
You don't really get me
High anymore

I said I do
Four because one’s not enough anymore

It wouldn’t surprise me
If I had a vision
People have them in Mississippi
More than you’d think

I wander drunkenly here

Going up for a change
Was all we really wanted
That afternoon on the escalator

Now it’s always the last heist 
On this escalator where I’m only slightly 
Piqued to find my only slightly sullied wings
Hidden in your garretless eyes

Vicksburg’s lonely without you
Your irreprovably sour smile

How many teeth have chewed this
Little piece of eternity
As if beauty’s a thing
That keeps going up for a change?

My solitude has your face
Your sigh-colored hair
Your silence which comes as a kiss

What I really want to say is
This place could be
The happiest moment in all infinity

When will your boat
Arrive at the landing?

No comments: